You no longer have to be an involuntary beta tester. Dr Dave guides you through the technology maze, separating the hype from technology that actually adds to the quality of your life.

The Best of Dr Dave's Weekly Radio Show

Click here to listen to Archive shows

Monday, February 16, 2009

Choose a Free Laptop? FREE? What do you think?

The REAL deal about "Choose a Free Laptop.com"

You may have heard the radio ads for "super get a free laptop". As with anything free there is a catch. Remember Economics 101: "There's no such thing as a free lunch".

I am not saying there's anything illegal or unethical about it, but I am saying that it makes no sense for most of us. There are significant costs involved in the requirements for the free laptop that may exceed the value of the laptop. I have yet to be able to figure a way that I could get what I wanted and no more, and still get a laptop for a price that makes sense. I would have to sign up and PAY for offers that I had no interest in. And the link to review the requirements is broken. I'm sure it's just coincidental.

Unlike many other similar offers the laptops are pretty good ones, it's just that the requirements are quite expensive. And if you think you can sign up for stuff, get the laptop and cancel the subscription. Won't happen.

You won't recive your laptop for months and by the time you get it it may be obsolete. It is a REAL rats nest of rules and regulations with convenient out-clauses for the laptop provider.

It's a no-brainer. Don't do it!

0 comments: